Say Your Name


Write about your first name: are you named after someone or something? Are there any stories or associations attached to it? If you had the choice, would you rename yourself?
Daily Prompt
Francesca.
I was in the hospital for 3 days with no name. Meanwhile my father was out and about telling everyone his wife had a baby girl, and she was called Angharad Nan (Nan being my paternal grandmother's first name).

My mother kept receiving cards for Angharad Nan, and decided she quickly needed to come up with a name for me, because she absolutely did not want Angharad Nan!

Her best friend reminded her that she had said she liked the name Francesca, after the actress Francesca Annis. And so a compromise was reached and I became Francesca Nan.

 
I've had plenty of stick for my name over the years. Pretty simple really - as one example, shorten it to Franny then remove the 'r' - the joys of childhood! Back then I might've considered changing it.

But then I started getting lots of fun nicknames - like Frangipan - and it wasn't so bad. A few years ago my friends turned many words into my name - 'frank you' and 'frantrum' are two of my favourites.

And there's something nice about a relatively unusual name, except when you're looking for personalised tourist tat!

Labels: , ,

Sunday, 6 April 2014

Say Your Name


Write about your first name: are you named after someone or something? Are there any stories or associations attached to it? If you had the choice, would you rename yourself?
Daily Prompt
Francesca.
I was in the hospital for 3 days with no name. Meanwhile my father was out and about telling everyone his wife had a baby girl, and she was called Angharad Nan (Nan being my paternal grandmother's first name).

My mother kept receiving cards for Angharad Nan, and decided she quickly needed to come up with a name for me, because she absolutely did not want Angharad Nan!

Her best friend reminded her that she had said she liked the name Francesca, after the actress Francesca Annis. And so a compromise was reached and I became Francesca Nan.

 
I've had plenty of stick for my name over the years. Pretty simple really - as one example, shorten it to Franny then remove the 'r' - the joys of childhood! Back then I might've considered changing it.

But then I started getting lots of fun nicknames - like Frangipan - and it wasn't so bad. A few years ago my friends turned many words into my name - 'frank you' and 'frantrum' are two of my favourites.

And there's something nice about a relatively unusual name, except when you're looking for personalised tourist tat!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home