INTJ

Do parties and crowds fill you with energy, or send you scurrying for peace and quiet?
Daily Prompt

Depends how much alcohol is involved. I'm naturally quite shy and cope better in small groups, but 'tipsy' is directly correlated to 'gregarious'; and unfortunately 'really drunk' is directly correlated to 'making a fool of myself'. Don't think I'm alone there though!

I find it difficult to get my voice heard in large groups, and tend to be just another face in the crowd rather than an active participant. I'm also one of those clingers: I find people I know and hang onto them as hard as I can. I really hate that!

I do find a couple of things bolster my confidence though. Being with my friends seems to bring out some sort of bravado and I do and say things I wouldn't otherwise. And I always find it easier to have a job to do at work events. People have to talk to me if I'm on the welcome desk, or are likely to talk to me if I manage a stall.

Following a couple of work events I attended recently and my overwhelming feelings of awkwardness, I have made the decision to improve my networking skills. I decided a couple of years ago to improve my approchability, and I think the two are inter-related. I also think working on networking and approachability would make life easier when looking for a new job.

The most important thing is to feel confident, and that comes from knowing what you're talking about and being prepared. That is certainly what I've found with job interviews anyway. I think it definitely helps to know who is speaking and on what subject, and who else is attending an event so you can have potential questions to ask.

***I had to look up the meaning of this post title: INTJ means nothing to me but apparently it's an acronym for introversion, intuition, thinking, judgement; which is one of 16 personality types. Looking at the characteristics, I don't think it applies to me totally. I reckon INFP might be closer to reality.***

Labels: , , , , , ,

Monday, 1 April 2013

INTJ

Do parties and crowds fill you with energy, or send you scurrying for peace and quiet?
Daily Prompt

Depends how much alcohol is involved. I'm naturally quite shy and cope better in small groups, but 'tipsy' is directly correlated to 'gregarious'; and unfortunately 'really drunk' is directly correlated to 'making a fool of myself'. Don't think I'm alone there though!

I find it difficult to get my voice heard in large groups, and tend to be just another face in the crowd rather than an active participant. I'm also one of those clingers: I find people I know and hang onto them as hard as I can. I really hate that!

I do find a couple of things bolster my confidence though. Being with my friends seems to bring out some sort of bravado and I do and say things I wouldn't otherwise. And I always find it easier to have a job to do at work events. People have to talk to me if I'm on the welcome desk, or are likely to talk to me if I manage a stall.

Following a couple of work events I attended recently and my overwhelming feelings of awkwardness, I have made the decision to improve my networking skills. I decided a couple of years ago to improve my approchability, and I think the two are inter-related. I also think working on networking and approachability would make life easier when looking for a new job.

The most important thing is to feel confident, and that comes from knowing what you're talking about and being prepared. That is certainly what I've found with job interviews anyway. I think it definitely helps to know who is speaking and on what subject, and who else is attending an event so you can have potential questions to ask.

***I had to look up the meaning of this post title: INTJ means nothing to me but apparently it's an acronym for introversion, intuition, thinking, judgement; which is one of 16 personality types. Looking at the characteristics, I don't think it applies to me totally. I reckon INFP might be closer to reality.***

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger LIFT: Living in Free Thought said...

I've been told I'm an INTJ, too. And I thought I read once that employers prefer this personality type.

1:24 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home