Silver Screen

Take a quote from your favorite movie — there’s the title of your post. Now, write!
Daily Prompt

My favourite quote used to be from Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight: You make your own luck. But personal circumstances that make me feel massively out of control of my own luck have made that quote feel less important. So I've moved onto this one:
I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure
Gandalf, The Hobbit

I really enjoyed The Hobbit, and I felt that the film really pulled out the theme about quiet, unsuspecting characters being capable of greatness and being important in the grand scheme of things (even if it's not common knowledge). I have enjoyed my adventures, and I think I felt a little like Bilbo before my first couple: determined to go but scared at the same time.

My big adventures have mostly been on my own, although I often meet people along the way, and this has definitely helped me overcome my shyness. My mini-adventures with my friends are also fun, whether it's surfing and kayaking in Rhosneigr, wakeboarding in Abersoch, possum-spotting in New Zealand, or activities in Amsterdam. And I loved the group of complete strangers I met on the West Coast of New Zealand.

I like the idea of sharing one of my big adventures at some point, whether that's with a group of friends or with one other person. If it was with my friends it would be full of outdoor activities, and probably a fair bit of drinking and dancing. But if it was with one other 'special' person, would it be a showcase of my favourite places, or would it be completely new places and experiences?

My favourite places would have to include:


Monterrico, Guatemala

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Sydney, Australia

Mission Beach, Australia

Northland, New Zealand

Lake Tekapo, New Zealand


Wanaka, New Zealand

Monterey, California

Yosemite, California

Portland, Oregon

Boise, Idaho
(photo from dreamstime.com)

Bozeman, Montana

Yellowstone and Grand Teton, Wyoming

Nara, Japan

Osaka, Japan
(photo from dreamstime.com)

Kyoto, Japan

Completely new places might include most of South America or South East Asia. I planned a trip to South America in 2009 and never got there. Not sure if I ever will now. I did a bit of research on SE Asia for a university report on ecotourism, and that made me a bit yearnful.

I'm working in tourism at the moment and the big marketing push is about experiencing a destination; so marketers should be illustrating how people can experience a destination rather than just showing stunning scenery and vistas. I completely agree: many of my trips have involved hiking, kayaking or even sky-diving, and those experiences definitely shape how you experience and remember a destination.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Saturday, 30 March 2013

Silver Screen

Take a quote from your favorite movie — there’s the title of your post. Now, write!
Daily Prompt

My favourite quote used to be from Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight: You make your own luck. But personal circumstances that make me feel massively out of control of my own luck have made that quote feel less important. So I've moved onto this one:
I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure
Gandalf, The Hobbit

I really enjoyed The Hobbit, and I felt that the film really pulled out the theme about quiet, unsuspecting characters being capable of greatness and being important in the grand scheme of things (even if it's not common knowledge). I have enjoyed my adventures, and I think I felt a little like Bilbo before my first couple: determined to go but scared at the same time.

My big adventures have mostly been on my own, although I often meet people along the way, and this has definitely helped me overcome my shyness. My mini-adventures with my friends are also fun, whether it's surfing and kayaking in Rhosneigr, wakeboarding in Abersoch, possum-spotting in New Zealand, or activities in Amsterdam. And I loved the group of complete strangers I met on the West Coast of New Zealand.

I like the idea of sharing one of my big adventures at some point, whether that's with a group of friends or with one other person. If it was with my friends it would be full of outdoor activities, and probably a fair bit of drinking and dancing. But if it was with one other 'special' person, would it be a showcase of my favourite places, or would it be completely new places and experiences?

My favourite places would have to include:


Monterrico, Guatemala

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Sydney, Australia

Mission Beach, Australia

Northland, New Zealand

Lake Tekapo, New Zealand


Wanaka, New Zealand

Monterey, California

Yosemite, California

Portland, Oregon

Boise, Idaho
(photo from dreamstime.com)

Bozeman, Montana

Yellowstone and Grand Teton, Wyoming

Nara, Japan

Osaka, Japan
(photo from dreamstime.com)

Kyoto, Japan

Completely new places might include most of South America or South East Asia. I planned a trip to South America in 2009 and never got there. Not sure if I ever will now. I did a bit of research on SE Asia for a university report on ecotourism, and that made me a bit yearnful.

I'm working in tourism at the moment and the big marketing push is about experiencing a destination; so marketers should be illustrating how people can experience a destination rather than just showing stunning scenery and vistas. I completely agree: many of my trips have involved hiking, kayaking or even sky-diving, and those experiences definitely shape how you experience and remember a destination.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home