Bone of Contention

Pick a contentious issue about which you care deeply — it could be the same-sex marriage debate, or just a disagreement you’re having with a friend. Write a post defending the opposite position, and then reflect on what it was like to do that.
Daily Prompt (but I'm only doing the first part - complaining!)

Not really issues I care deeply about, but a couple of things that have really been getting to me.

The first is about the hard time Rhys Priestland got from the rugby fans, which led to him needing professional help; and the fact that the Welsh coaching squad asked the fans to give Dan Biggar a chance to keep the pressure off him.

Priestland did get quite a lot of stick, and some very nasty comments were made. I don't think I said anything majorly harsh about him personally, but I did question the choice of him over Hook when he had played badly in game after game.

My bone of contention is why the fans are being blamed for this. We weren't giving him a hard time for no good reason: he made many mistakes again and again. And if it wasn't for the coaches selecting him again and again, we wouldn't have had any reason for complaining.We just couldn't understand why the coaches apparently couldn't see what we could.

And my second bone of contention is the volume of anti-rugby posts on Facebook during the 6 Nations. Yes, lots of people support rugby just for those 6 weeks and post statuses about the scores. Yes, they only support the national team and don't support a domestic team.

But let's take a deeper look at this. First of all, I and most of the people I know are in North Wales. Our regional team is the Scarlets, who are based in Llanelli. Which is in South Wales. Go figure. So there aren't really any local teams for us to support for the rest of the year.

And secondly, rugby doesn't get much media coverage, except during the national games such as the 6 Nations. So excuse us for getting a bit excited for a few weeks of the year.

What really gets to me is that most of these comments come from football fans who hate rugby. What do they really have to complain about?! Football is everywhere from August to May, and even longer if there are international games on.

Why can't they just leave our time alone?

Maybe I'm completely in the wrong and I'm the only friend of theirs who doesn't give them a hard time about posting football statuses, or tell them they should support Welsh rugby because it's patriotic. I doubt it. I think I'll just need to remember to shift them all to my 'acquaintances' list before next year, so I don't have to put up with their comments.

I'm trying to get into regional rugby, but it's difficult when you don't have a real reason to support a team, and just want to choose one. We have a relatively new team up north - RGC 1404 - who are looking pretty good and are (I believe) supposed to be our regional team and regional development base. But I'm unclear as to whether they would be able to get into the Pro12, or just be able to get promoted to the Premiership. And they're still a bit away from that.

Labels: , , ,

Monday, 25 March 2013

Bone of Contention

Pick a contentious issue about which you care deeply — it could be the same-sex marriage debate, or just a disagreement you’re having with a friend. Write a post defending the opposite position, and then reflect on what it was like to do that.
Daily Prompt (but I'm only doing the first part - complaining!)

Not really issues I care deeply about, but a couple of things that have really been getting to me.

The first is about the hard time Rhys Priestland got from the rugby fans, which led to him needing professional help; and the fact that the Welsh coaching squad asked the fans to give Dan Biggar a chance to keep the pressure off him.

Priestland did get quite a lot of stick, and some very nasty comments were made. I don't think I said anything majorly harsh about him personally, but I did question the choice of him over Hook when he had played badly in game after game.

My bone of contention is why the fans are being blamed for this. We weren't giving him a hard time for no good reason: he made many mistakes again and again. And if it wasn't for the coaches selecting him again and again, we wouldn't have had any reason for complaining.We just couldn't understand why the coaches apparently couldn't see what we could.

And my second bone of contention is the volume of anti-rugby posts on Facebook during the 6 Nations. Yes, lots of people support rugby just for those 6 weeks and post statuses about the scores. Yes, they only support the national team and don't support a domestic team.

But let's take a deeper look at this. First of all, I and most of the people I know are in North Wales. Our regional team is the Scarlets, who are based in Llanelli. Which is in South Wales. Go figure. So there aren't really any local teams for us to support for the rest of the year.

And secondly, rugby doesn't get much media coverage, except during the national games such as the 6 Nations. So excuse us for getting a bit excited for a few weeks of the year.

What really gets to me is that most of these comments come from football fans who hate rugby. What do they really have to complain about?! Football is everywhere from August to May, and even longer if there are international games on.

Why can't they just leave our time alone?

Maybe I'm completely in the wrong and I'm the only friend of theirs who doesn't give them a hard time about posting football statuses, or tell them they should support Welsh rugby because it's patriotic. I doubt it. I think I'll just need to remember to shift them all to my 'acquaintances' list before next year, so I don't have to put up with their comments.

I'm trying to get into regional rugby, but it's difficult when you don't have a real reason to support a team, and just want to choose one. We have a relatively new team up north - RGC 1404 - who are looking pretty good and are (I believe) supposed to be our regional team and regional development base. But I'm unclear as to whether they would be able to get into the Pro12, or just be able to get promoted to the Premiership. And they're still a bit away from that.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home